{Changing Mama into something better}


Monday, February 6, 2012

Success!

Day one of dance classes was a success! The girls had lots of fun learning and dancing today. My favorite class to watch was Melissa's Ballet 1 class with my little girl in it. Too cute! They were so attentive and focused on each ballet step. It was nice to see Sasha actually doing well in class because I was not her teacher. She has been my student for the past 2 years, and we have had ISSUES. Emma and I had some of the same problems years ago when I began teaching her, and meanie me even kicked her out of class once. Upon the suggestion of my Dad, we came up with new dance class names for each other, to remind us of our differing roles in that setting. I called her Christine, her middle name, and she called me Ms. Jenny. This went on for a semester of dance classes and then she asked if she could be Emma in class again. I told her she could be Emma again if she was a model student. She promised she would be, and has been for the most part. I can always count on Emma to remember the dance choreography, and she and her good friend, Asia, are usually front and center so that the other girls can follow along.

 Emma & Asia in Alice In Wonderland 2008
This is the semester I let Christine become Emma again.

Last year, when Sasha was still in my Tiny Tutus class, she was less than a perfect student for sure. One of my favorite memories of little Sasha is of the Spring recital, A Night At The Oscars, in which she was a bride from the oscar-winning movie, 7 Brides For 7 Brothers. These little ones have difficulty with spacing in a line, and tend to bunch together instead of spreading out and allowing enough space for them to do the choreography. The performance was  no different, and there were 2 bunches of little brides on either side of the stage, next to the class helpers, Emma and Asia. So, Sasha took advantage of this space, stood alone center stage, and did her own choreography for all to enjoy. I just stood backstage and laughed at my little "free spirit" enjoying the spotlight.

Sasha as a Bride.
I made all the little girls veils and bouquets for the dance. 

1 comment:

  1. They are so so cute!! Natalie just started Ballet, a creative movement class that does a little jazz, and ballet entertwined. They are starting to learn their song for recital "Rubber Ducky". I just hope she listens, she did great at her first practice, but the second one the last 15 minutes she kind of got bored as the teacher was talking about the upcoming recital, and I may have heard about it from the teacher..hee hee.
    She can be quite the free spirit as well!!

    ReplyDelete