{Changing Mama into something better}


Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Butt Chicks

Yes, you read that correctly. The Butt Chicks. That was the name my fitness team came up with for our participation in a fitness challenge and weight loss competition with Kim's Fitness for Women. We formed our team on December 26, 2012, and weighed-in at 590 lbs.

For six weeks, we did nothing but diet, exercise, and train for the big day. Three of us signed-up for Personal Training with Kim, and tracked our progress in push-ups, sit-ups, and other exercises in Kim's fit test. I joined "My Fitness Pal" and counted every calorie that entered my body. I cried when I found out how fattening and caloric my favorite homemade Pralines are. (Seriously, I did cry, but I was watching The Help and was quite emotional that day). I did around 50 push-ups a day on my own time, and felt I could help my team out in that area on the big day.

The week of the competition and weigh-in, Kim had us do a particularly challenging Circuit Training routine. As I left, Ifelt more sore and run-down than I had in several months. I actually pulled a muscle in my butt. Ouch. So, later that week, as my teammates and I were wallowing in self-pity over our sore behinds, we decided that we would call ourselves "The Butt Chicks", as we were very sore in that area, we had done far too many butt kicks in circuit training that week, and because we were planning on kicking butt in the competition. I thought it was pretty clever.

To make a long story short, we didn't win either aspect of the competition. But did we "win" after all? Our group lost over 30 lbs., and we looked and felt a great deal better. Our fit test scores improved dramatically.I went in to the competition thinking I would do 32 push-ups, and ended up cranking out 42! I doubled my sit-up amount, and did 5 more sprint laps than last Summer when we tested that last. Most importantly, I had a great time with my girls.

Out for a GNO with most of The Butt Chicks.
Dinner at Chilli's (I had the Guiltless Salmon) & a movie.
Melissa Howsmon, Julie McGinnis & Moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment