{Changing Mama into something better}


Friday, May 4, 2012

Spring Break- Escalor GNO

GNO! Yeah!!! I was so excited for our planned "Girls Night Out" with my sister, Caroline, and cousin, Kyndra. We are kindred spirits, and don't get to be together nearly enough to warrant how much we enjoy hanging out. Sally-Mom joined us, and we decided to eat at a posh Italian Restaurant (can't remember the name) off of the Fashion Place Mall. Upon arrival there was a 30 minute wait, so we decided to run into the mall for a little window shopping. We were gaga over many of the purses in Nordstrom, but luckily, that is an easy place for me to skip over, especially since I had just bought lots of stuff there 2 days before. Our little shopping excursion was timed perfectly, and we only waited inside of the restaurant a few minutes before being seated.

All of the food was incredibly delicious, from the appetizers to the desserts. I ordered the evening's special: Escalor, cooked to perfection, in a bed of wild rice, with mushrooms, and a delicious sauce. Of course, I had absolutely no idea what Escalor was, but the waitress informed me that it was a type of fish, which I prefer to other meats or chicken, so I thought I would take  chance. I didn't feel too ignorant, asking the waitress what Escalor was, as none of the others knew either!

This reminded me of another night out, many years ago, with my man. We were sharing a meal at our Singles Ward Bishop's home, when I was told that I would be enjoying a pasta sauce made with the meat from an elk that Bishop had shot only a few weeks before. "Ooh! Sounds delicious," I heard Shane say. Say what? I had no idea what they were talking about. What the heck was an elk? Not a fish, that wouldn't have been shot. A bird? California blondie needed a little Zoological lesson before dinner, but I tried the meat, and tolerated it well enough. Later, after moving to Colorado, I was blessed to see many elk, some alive and well, other stuffed and preserved in the homes of friends. While briefly working at The Holiday Inn of Alamosa, I attended a staff meeting in which the other employees were making fun of some tourists that had asked the front desk help, "When did the deer become elk?" See! Not everyone knows what an elk is, or an escalor for that matter.

The next day Sally-Mom and I found ourselves at Nordstrom again, and we bought a few of the purses that we just couldn't get out of our minds overnight. A gold bag for me, and a coral one in the same style for Kyndra. Fun! Steven by Steve Madden: now there is a name I know!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment