{Changing Mama into something better}


Sunday, September 30, 2012

Soccer Mom

I am officially a Soccer Mom! I don't exactly know why I'm so excited about this. I mean, I've had the minivan to go with this title for quite some time, but somehow I just feel that getting to call myself a Soccer Mom means that I am finally in that phase of life that I was so excited about when I first had my sweet, little baby, Emma. It sneaks up on a woman, you know? First, you have these little kids that can't do a darn thing for themselves, or you, and you wonder if it will EVER end: sleepless nights, poopy diapers, play dates that really include you, endless messes, and the whining, (oh, the whining!!!) Now, I am in full-on carpool mode, rushing my kids off to this activity, that sport, as well as music lessons, church activities, and the many dance classes I also have to teach (so that they can have that opportunity). So, here are the pictures of the three cutest kids ever, and their soccer teams.

Emma- 3rd from the left, top row.

Shelton- 2nd from the left, top row, flexing.

Sasha- on the right end.

Soccer is new for us because this is the first year that Conejos County is involved. Some awesome Soccer Moms were tired of driving to Alamosa (30 miles away) for soccer practices, so they formed our own league. (Thank you Melissa Mortensen!) We still drive to Alamosa for games on Saturday mornings, but they are all between 9am-12pm, so it doesn't feel like too much of a time commitment. My kids have all enjoyed it, but Shelton particularly loves it. It is the perfect sport for him as he loves to run and run and run, "Just like the 5 Little Pumpkins story, Mom!" Shelton says. (He is a Sowards, and Sowards are born runners. His only complaint with his new PE teacher is that she does not make them run enough laps. Too funny!) He has played so well, scoring goals, and getting good with his footwork. He also has the trash talking down, and I love to hear his juvenile taunting as he rushes past me on the sideline. He thanks the other team for kicking the ball out of bounds, gives them a thumbs-up when they miss a goal, and tries to make them think that he is the best soccer player ever. What a goof! Shelton's coach is David Ayala, who happens to have grow-up in South America where soccer (futbol) is the thing to do. Ironically, he is the Bishop that my brother, Jared, served with in Oceanside, CA. His wife is from the San Luis Valley, and they decided to move back here about a year ago. They are great people, and we are blessed to have them here. 

Shelton's team is very competitive, WITH EACH OTHER!!! They all want to score the goals, so they steal the ball from each other and throw in an elbow or two, to do so. 

Here is Sasha, about to score a goal! She is on the Bear Cubs team, which is an instructional program. She is one of the oldest cubs, as she just recently turned 5, and she has got the goal scoring thing down pat, as well as playing defensively, so that the other team will not steal their treasure. Cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment