{Changing Mama into something better}


Sunday, September 23, 2012

Getting Dirty!!! The Mud Run

Shane and I have been wanting to start a new hobby together. I realized that besides being extremely attracted to each other, having our cute kids in common, and being very into our religion, we don't have a lot in common. We like to watch movies together, and sit next to each other at night, iPhones in hand, laughing about things on Facebook, but other than that we don't have any hobbies in common. So, we decided to start running together, and have been doing so for about  2 months. We have been training for a Mud Run that was put on by Kim's Fitness, where I do my exercise and Zumba classes. The Mud Run was a few miles from our house, behind M Mountain, at the SRS Motocross track, on Saturday, September 15th. During this past exercise session, I almost won a weight-loss contest after losing 10 pounds, but another gal beat me by .3%. I was disappointed by this, but was anxious for Shane to win the race, and show everyone that SOWA POWA is real! I worked very hard training for this race by trying to lose weight for the contest, and got in between 6-10 workouts/runs each week for 8 weeks. It certainly payed-off, as I was able to improve my time by 5 minutes from the first time I tried running the dry portion of the race. I ran the entire Mud Run race, a 5K distance with a challenging climb over M Mountain, and some intense obstacles in the muddy motocross track, in 33:50, and came in 9th place overall. Of course, my studly husband won the race, and completed it in about 27 minutes. He was worried about running because he has been busy and hadn't run in 2 weeks before the race, but his amazing running abilities were enough.

Here we are! Before the race, in the freezing cold.
Ready to run!
My good friend, Julie, is ready to roll as a volunteer. She would be running, but her back is in need of surgery, so she cheered all of her workout buddies along like a true champ.
Here he is! The champion.
The Shanes! My Shane, and Julie's Shane.
Manassa 1st Ward girls represent!
Moi, Ginger Thomas, Shannon Jarvies (they both beat me, but not by much).
Here I am, posing after my first running race, ever. Ever!!!
And finally, here we are, the dirty couple.
I realize that he is a lot dirtier than I, but even in a Mud Run, I'm a lady.

3 comments:

  1. So so proud of you girlie. What an amazing transformation you have had in the last year! You are amazing, and should be so proud of your accomplishments, even the fact that you lost by .3...that's nothin'!! You almost won,a nd that's huge!! You deserve all the best, and again so proud of you!! Way to go Shane!! He won the whole thing..wowzas!! You two are studs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Shane look great! Skinnie minnies! You guys are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! I'm so proud of you two!!! Great job in the race!!! That's super exciting for you!!! I love and miss you guys!! :)

    ReplyDelete